RSS

TORODE! TORODE! TORODE!

02 Apr

On Saturday Kitchen’s Best Bites on Sunday there was a rare re-run of John Torode actually cooking something, a jammy beef rendang. The MC mask is off, he looks really relaxed, fires off gags, and his Australian accent is a lot more noticable (g’day!). Lovely knifework too (like all proper brigade chefs he can do that thing with an onion that drew blood from me the last time I tried it). The segment featured at least a couple of plugs for his book John Torode’s Beef, which has one of the most unattractive cookbook covers I have ever seen:

Image

“John. John? Heeeeyyy. Don’t worry about the hair. Can you sit on this throne (THRONE!) in stagey blackout and look a bit diffident? Then we’ll get the trainee designer to stick billion-point Machine all over the cover like it’s 1996 or something.” Weirdly, I went past the Dalston Oxfam shop on the bus yesterday and there was a copy in the window, his bored-puppy face watching the hipsters stroll by.

It seems to be pretty popular with Amazon buyers, if fairly sticking-to-the-knitting. Also, when I Googled for ‘john torode’s beef’, the first auto-complete was for ‘john torode’s wife’. The public have declared their real interests.

Advertisements

9 responses to “TORODE! TORODE! TORODE!

1. Fanny

April 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I saw that book in the Oxfam window too!! I *almost* went in & bought it. 🙂 I missed the show, was it quite old?

In other cookery book news, how’s about THIS? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17560468

• takotsubo

April 3, 2012 at 1:54 pm

It looked like a few years ago, yep. Just a clip show of whatever they could rustle up. Jackie Collins looked really confused.
      That cookery book looks fun. Am thinking of writing a hagiographic piece about Heston Blumenthal At Home, though. It really is extraordinary.

• Lucas

April 23, 2012 at 1:20 am

, I loved the Oz format beasuce it’s, I guess, as Fattakin pointed out, XFactor only with food. Easy TV and enjoyable. I am excited about the prospect of it, but it could end up being that Oz Masterchef is still better. I can’t see the BBC offering the kind of prize they did in Australia – $100k (AUS), a cookbook deal and a stint in a major restaurant.Your point is right and has always been the case with Masterchef in all its guises – it leads people to think they are better chefs than they are and viewers to copy. If memory serves me, Oz Masterchef didn’t have this issue – the inclusion of Matt Preston with his wildly over the top descriptions only added to the interest in the show. I don’t think I ever heard him say the same thing twice. I left the house forgetting to have my usual double espresso this morning so I am not thinking right either, but you’ve valid points. At the same time, I love the show. And although it’s a negative in ways, I also think it’s a positive, too. There are lots of people out there who are seeing and hearing about foods they would never have come across in their lives and in that respect, the education is a good thing. Poor Gregg, he gets the blame for everything.

• Saidy

April 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Hi There,I am Pranav from India Congratulations on your win although this week on firady Alana will be eliminated(as i now know what actually happened), however i hated it when my wife mistakenly disclosed the winner, she was like oh you know Kate won this MC season and i was like .. But she always make upto it with her beautiful smile and wonderful food she cooks we are are great fan of your recepies and specially since your cooking is very much personal and for your loved one’s please let us know once your recipe book is published will surely include it in our kitchen shelf

• Agyapong

April 24, 2012 at 3:13 am

Hi Kate,Here in Holland the show is still running and I love it and caonnt wait for the book to come out.Unfortunately I accidentally found out you won, long before finals week (which we are currently viewing) started.You deserve to have won. You obviously have a passion for cooking and that makes it so much fun to watch.There is a possibility that I will travel to Australia next year.Should you have a shop or restaurant set up by then I will surely pay a visit.Wishing you all the best on your food-adventures!Warm regardsMariannePS Do you know if Peter has a website?

2. Fanny

August 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

They’ve started the ‘Best Bites’ again & I got another viewing of my favourite Spaniard, Jose Pizarro doing his chicken wings & peas/jamon/egg dish. The first time I missed his comments about how Iberico pork should be served medium rare; “when I say ‘the pork will come medium rare’ they say ‘OHMYGOD!’ but that is the best, we still serve it at my place but that’s the only pork that can be done like that”. A couple of weeks later me & Carsmile popped in to Pizarro’s & sure enough the pork came medium rare – it was AMAZING. I cannot wait to go again.

• takotsubo