RSS

it’s saturday morning and who’s gonna play with me

22 Mar

So, y’know, with my head jammed with thoughts of Masterchef, what’s for dinner and what restaurant will I be taken to for my birthday [hint, hint] I can’t help but rise bright and breezy each Saturday morning and wonder “who’s on Saturday Kitchen today?!”

In recent weeks the producers have really pulled it out of the bag – Jamie Foreman was pretty awesome, Chris Isaak took me back to my youth and this week, Jennifer Carpenter.  Yes, she’s a glamorous, svelte lady but she tucked into her cream tea (Cornish or Devon, not quite sure) with complete abandon.

I have a soft spot for SK; it’s been amateurish at times but gone are the days of Antony Worrall Thompson (and Greg Wallace who I have no recollection of) and it’s great, bleary-eyed viewing with a cuppa and slice of toast.

Every time Roux senior appears on the show, James’ reverence warms my cockles but a guest who was most unbecoming was Madhur Jaffrey.  I recall that she was very unhappy at our host’s attempts at onion slicing and purposefully took 3 minutes to cook an omelette.  How egg-ravating.

A while ago, during one of James’ breaks, regular guest John Torode took over.  This may be the only time I have actually watched television through my fingers such was the level of embarrassment.  I remember issues with the autocue and by the end of the show he muttered something about it ‘all going to pot’ and ‘what a bloody nightmare’ whilst downing the bottle of red.  Poor fella.  Still, I think he’s doing alright for himself now.

As a beer widow I often hear tutting in response to the wine expert’s choice of tipple.  “How about a nice wheat beer, eh?”  I believe the internet is all a twitter over what beverage should be chosen to accompany Michael Ball’s pork belly or Celia Imrie’s dreaded battenburg.

Many minutes go by as I think of my own food heaven, such a long list.  Lamb?  AUBERGINE!!  Courgette?  Oh, mackerel – that’s the fella!  OK, mackerel but I’ve got to have garlic in there too.  Hell is way too easy, olives and coffee of course.

I’d like the celebrity guests to chose their actual food hell – nut allergy?  If the public don’t like you, let them put you in hospital.  Lactose intolerant?  Give the C-Lister a stomach complaint or two.  Go on, I’m sure Denise Lewis wouldn’t mind.

WOAH!  Watch out people, the legend that is Pierre Koffmann is on this week – set that alarm, people  :)

7 responses to “it’s saturday morning and who’s gonna play with me

1. chef de cuisine

March 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Well, that was pretty cool – that cuttlefish bolognaise looked fantastic. It’s a shame I don’t have a budgie :)

2. takotsubo

March 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Or as Pierre has it, “bourgee”.
    Am trying to think of a way you could do that without a slicer. And without a vacuum wotsit. And without Pierre Koffman…

3. chef de cuisine

March 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Well, everyone seems to fixated with vacuuming & sous vide but I couldn’t see the benefit of vacuuming this fella. I reckon you could stick it in the freezer in a bag no problem. Could you also use a mandolin on v thin setting? I can’t watch people use those – visions of blood everywhere & a fingertip in your tea [shudder]. I thought Pierre might come a cropper with the slicing but I’m sure he’s used more slicers than I’ve had hot dinners [makes reservation at Koffmanns].

4. Fanny

April 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm

WOW! This week they really pulled it out of the bag. Not only did you have BOTH the Greedy Italians in the studio but the guest was one of my favourite actors (Phil Davis) :D

5. chef de cuisine

June 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Having seen Wolfgang Puck on various American shows (Top Chef & the like) it was nice to see him make his British TV debut plugging his new London steak house. The man’s a hoot! A little bit risque “it’s good to eat pudding in bed, no?” & a little bit of a rascal “the name of my Spago chain came from my friend, Georgio Moroder … yes, he worked with Donna Summer & did Midnight Express & all that crap! Oh, you said no bad words, that’s not so bad is it?” :D

6. Fanny

September 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

WOOOO! Pierre Koffmann is back back back! Tomorrow’s show (22/09/12) will also feature Bryn Williams. Cannot wait.

7. Fanny

September 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

Another cracker from Pierre although I would’ve liked his opinion following Miss Khoo’s bastardisation of the classic coq au vin – a kebab? I ask you …